Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer Homework?? Am I nuts?

As most of you know, Chase will be in the 5th grade this year. Since it's an election year, I had a flash of brilliance and decided that Chase should read a biography about John McCain and one about Barack Obama. This summer. During non-school time. Instead of playing, reading Calvin & Hobbes comics, swimming, hanging out with friends, and other fun summer activities. Ok, not instead, but in addition to. I even compromised and got the very easiest biographies I could find in the kids' section of the library (although he's reading on a high school level...)!

How's it going? sigh.

He has reluctantly read two chapters of the John McCain book in two weeks. I guess his mama needs to make a regular reading time for such things if she wants it to happen, huh? I really thought he might be interested in reading them - he's pretty interested in the political process, and we spend a fair amount of time talking about the candidates and the process in general, but I had forgotten that he is completely uninterested in ANY book that I may have at some point looked at, considered, thought of or (heaven forbid) paged through. Silly me. I mean, you'd think being shot down over enemy lines, held as a POW for 5 years and tortured would be exciting reading for any 10-yr-old boy!!!

So, I've renewed my resolve to have him read them. Every day, a chapter (like 8 pages...I'm so mean), and I'll probably only have to renew the books once. I really think it's a good idea for him to know a little bit about the man who will lead our country, potentially until he is able to VOTE! (Yes, that scares me...) And, while divine hubby and I hope he will follow in our rather conservative footsteps, I want him to make his own decisions on such things. I figure, in order for him to really make a good decision, he needs to have looked on both sides of the aisle and know how both candidates grew up, etc. This political season proves to be one of the most exciting and interesting seasons I can remember, and I, for one, am enjoying it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's an exciting campaign this year and also history-making. It's lasted a little too long for me (like about 4 years!), and I'm now skipping most articles about either candidate. But it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

On that last one, make it a capital D, and a 'rent. I can't figure out how to change it. Sigh. Another victory for technology.
ME

Miz C (and Burton) said...

Well, hmpppffffff. I wrote a perfectly brilliant comment to this post several hours ago, and blogspot seems to have eaten it. Perhaps I'll try to re-create it tomorrow. There aren't enough brain cells awake tonight to do it.

Miz C (and Burton) said...

Recreation of yesterday's disappearing post:

Silly, silly girl! You apparently haven't yet learned that...

Mom's suggestion (approval, endorsement...etc.) = "the kiss of death"

Your preteen/teen feels obligated to respond in the following ways:

If Mom likes something...dislike it immediately
If Mom suggests something...do the exact opposite
If Mom says she has an opinion about something...reject her opinion without even hearing it

Not always, of course, but often enought that it definitely keeps life with a pre-teen/teenager interesting. The funny thing is, you will most likely hear your offspring later offer to his siblings, friends or offspring of his own, the exact "wisdom" he felt so obligated to reject.

Ain't the cycle of life fun!!!!!!