Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh the sights you can see...

We just got back from a road trip to San Diego, CA. One of the fun things about road trips is the weird things you see. Like the THING somewhere in the middle-of-nowhere Arizona (see earlier post for pics). If you keep your eyes open, you can find unusual and note-worthy (or not so much) things to see, take pictures of and possibly blog about.

Here in Southern Nevada, we're ALL ABOUT visual. I mean, you can see the lights from the Strip from space, I'll bet! So, why was I surprised to see that we also boast the world's largest thermometer. Yep, right slap in the middle of nowhere, Nevada, somewhere between San Diego and Las Vegas, you can find this:

One of my favorite aspect of this picture is the "Bob's Big Boy" sign next to it. The sign actually has absolutely nothing to do with the thermometer...but it seemed appropriate anyway!
The sign on the bottom of the thermometer says "Gateway to Death Valley." Makes me sweat just thinking about it!
Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of the store across the street from the thermometer...they were selling Alien Jerky. I wonder if the US Government knows about this???

No comments: