Thursday, July 10, 2008

A 10-yr-old's priorities

Last night, Chase, divine hubby and I were taking a walk and talking about life, love and the pursuit of happiness. In particular, we were talking about priorities. Here's how it went:

C: "Family is the most important thing...well, except for God. He's first, then family."
DH: "That's right - but, what's next?"
STQ: (thinking hopefully) Character? Honesty? Education? Love? Grace? Friends?
C: "Oh, you know what's next, Daddy."
DH: "Friends, right?"
STQ: (friends would be good)
C: "No, friends are important too, but I think Smackdown is next important. Friends are fourth."
STQ: (falls on the sidewalk clawing at my eyes in horror, ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I don't think I looked happy)
C: (patting me on the shoulder with sympathy) "Mommy, it's ok. I can say friends are third if you want me to."

In retrospect, I am so very proud that Chase at least put God and family in front of professional wrestling... that might not be true of EVERY 10-yr-old in the world, right? I have always been pleased with the way Chase sees God and the world. I remember one time I told Chase I missed him while he was at school all day, and he said, "Mom, you weren't alone. God was here with you!" And he is so right! I think Chase has a wonderful sense of God and His presence in our lives. What I am trying to work on is Chase having his own relationship with God. That's harder than instilling a sense of God's omnipresence, I think. It's hard, when you are a very concrete-thinking child like Chase, to understand that it is possible to have an actual relationship with someone you can neither see nor touch.

I think it's hard for adults to understand that, as well! It's easy to kind of forget God until you're headed for a car accident or seeing someone you love in sudden peril. It's said there are no atheists in foxholes...I'm not sure that is really true, but I think in a life-or-death situation, the natural reaction is,"Oh, God..." And isn't it great that we are so hard-wired to call to God when we are in danger? It speaks of the truth of a "God-shaped hole" that we all have.

So, how do I help Chase fill his "God-shaped hole" with his very own relationship with God? I think one of the best ways is having him involved with a church that believes a vibrant, growing relationship with Christ is important. The churches we have gone to all have had that as their primary goal for the kids' program - that the kids have a personal, loving, growing, daily relationship with Christ. I love that! I also try to make sure Chase sees me doing my Bible study. Honestly, it's easier for me if I do it before he wakes up in the morning, but I have realized that maybe it's more important for him to see that Mommy spends time with God every day. The other goal that accomplishes is that I might actually DO IT every day! :) During my deep blue funk the other day, God and I had a long, tearful heart-to-heart about my feelings. I wonder if it's a coincidence that I woke up yesterday feeling better about everything? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew before I even read the whole beginning that it was leading to Smackdown. That is so Chase! Ry is looking forward to watching Smackdown with Chase on October 10 - I made our plane reservations last night. Ry can't stop singing Viva Las Vegas! We are all looking forward to it!
I wish I knew more about what was bothering you so I could offer help, but I will just let you know that I am thinking of you.