Thursday, April 10, 2008

Girlfriends

My sweet little boy just got picked up by a friend's mom for a sleepover. WAHOOOOOOO! Since divine hubby is in Las Vegas, I get a night all to myself! Oh, I'll be so bored...probably cry for an hour, then go ahead and go to bed to get a good night's sleep.

NOT! I've got an hour until my friends Tammy, Kelli and Kristy come to pick me up for dinner and drinks! What fun!! I haven't had a girls' night out in awhile. One of the things my dear girlfriend Kendra taught me all those zip codes ago in Austin is how important girlfriends are. Divine husbands are, well, divine. Kids are great fun to hug, talk and play with. Couple friends are fun to go on double dates with, but when the chips are down, when divine hubby is away and I'm feeling melancholy, when you just need someone to understand your crazy mood swing, ain't nothin bettah than a girlfriend. Husbands just think you're nuts, and kids honestly don't care if you're nuts . A girlfriend understands that being nuts is a temporary condition, and since she just got over a nutty moment herself, she is sympathetic.

I love my girlfriends. Some of them live across the street or in the next neighborhood, some of them live ALL the way out in Parker, some live in an entirely different part of the country, and one even lives "across the pond." Ok, so she's in Singapore now and not England anymore, but that's across a pond too!! Hi Deirdre...

My dear girlfriend Kim and I discussed this concept at length once. She has lots of family within a 5-10 mile radius of her house. While I envy her that, she was lacking in real girlfriends. You know, the kind who AREN'T related to you, and don't have to love you, but they do!! She and I found in each other a wonderful girlfriend and have contributed to each other's lives significantly. She even had her divine husband call me a few weeks ago and talk me through changing my first flat tire. (I had to call him back because I was still in the middle of feeling sorry for myself and having a good cry...) But that is a WHOLE other post...

I love my girlfriends.

3 comments:

Miz C (and Burton) said...

Treasure them; they are worth their weight in gold!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You sure are a talented writer. You should write a book!! Oh wait, you should write ANOTHER book!!!

Anonymous said...

You have discovered an important secret to a rich and full life: girlfriends. Just can't do without them...or wouldn't want to try.
Mom