Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Packing

Thursday is two weeks...until we move. Unless it's not. What could I possibly mean by that brilliant thought? We are currently looking at houses to rent in Las Vegas. The one we like at the moment won't be available until July 1. So, our cross-country adventures might not start until late June instead of 14 days from now. That thought fills me with such PEACE!!! I mean, I look at all of the junque (translation: high-class junk that we are willing to pay big bucks to move all over the country) we have, most of it NOT yet packed in big boxes, and it makes me tired to think of how much work I have to do in two weeks and two days. Unfortunately, feeling tired about all of the work does NOT motivate me to do it...it makes me want to take a nap.

But, I got a lot done today, and my living room is starting to be fairly un-live-able because of all of the boxes stacked around. That's good, right? The act of securely wrapping and placing all of one's worldly belongings in boxes is a very weird thing. You think to yourself that you could probably live without that particular "thing" for two weeks, so you put it in a box. But there are many many things you really cannot live without for two weeks. Namely, everything in the kitchen. Oh, I guess the breadmaker and the waffle iron could probably get packed without concern, but don't you take my beloved food processor. Ditto for the crock pot. And the vegetable steamer? I'll wrestle you to the ground before I'd let you put that in a box yet.

When you move three times in four years, you know what you have. You don't have a lot of stuff you don't use. You have almost nothing you don't want. At this point, I won't buy a new pen because it just means I have to pack it. It's kind of a funny existence when you move a lot. That being said - I hope to never ever ever ever ever move again and to start accumulating worthless junk that I'd never pay burly men to load onto a truck. Even though we're moving to Las Vegas, which is NOT my first choice for my home, I hope to dig deep down into my gravel front yard and plant some roots.

Moving is weird - packing is hard - leaving people we love (again) is sad. I think I'll go take a nap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see you this weekend..perhaps we can relieve some of your pain!

Miz C (and Burton) said...

You are soooooooooooo much better at this than I was. Moving from Maryland to Washington state was fun...an adventure...I wanted to go. Moving from Washington state to Texas was not fun...I didn't want to leave our friends and our church...and the jr. high kids at church for whom we were sponsors...SO...the day before we were scheduled to leave, I went with a friend to her hometown to her home church's Christmas Bazaar. Nope, nope, nope...didn't want to go. Ignore it and it goes away....right????? But...I had the luxury of having a hubby at home who kept packing...you, alas, do not. IF THIS EVER HAPPENS AGAIN, JUST TELL YOUR DIVINE HUBBY THAT AC SAID YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CALL THE MOVERS TO PACK AND MOVE YOU!!!!
Yep, yep, yep...making helpful suggestions like that is the least I can do to help you along your way!

love you!