Friday, February 5, 2010

Conflict and resolution

Ok, I'm taking a poll. Who out there just LOVES conflict? Raise your hands.

Anyone?

No one?

Oh, well there's you, but...

:)

Divine Hubby and I have decided to declare our house a conflict-free zone. We hope the children will join us in this new peace treaty, but find it doubtful.

I also think I'll have to wait until after Smackdown is over before all conflict will cease in the STQ household...it's pretty contentious and my boys just LOVE to fight during the show!

My parents are wondering "Who hijacked my STQ's blog and wrote such silly statements??"

When I was but a svelte young thing, I would argue the paint off the wall. I argued from my 13th birthday until the day I left for college (and if memory serves, I might have shouted a few arguments out the window as I drove out of town...). As a teenager, I loved nothing better than a good old-fashioned shouting match with my Dad in the kitchen.

Good times. :)

As an adult, I have grown to truly despise contention, arguing, strife and conflict in general. I'd like to say it's because I have become such a deep Christian and now represent the words of the Beatitudes (blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called Children of God), but really it's cause it makes my stomach hurt, makes me cry and then my eyes swell up and I look like crap for 24 hours or so. I know, I'm deep. It's a gift.

Anyway, I have banished all conflict from my life. I'm moving to Tibet and going to live on a mountain with the goats and meditate on my navel for the rest of my natural life.

Except it's probably hot in Tibet. And cold. And is there humidity? I am NOT going to live there if there's humidity. Ooh, and are there bugs? Eeeewwww. Otherwise? I'm SO there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, STQ! No conflict, please. I'm also big on not traveling to exotic places looking for peace. I like your idea of enforcing a conflict-free zone. You can do it. Try sanctions. "I only feed individuals who speak graciously." ;)

Kristine said...

I don't know if I could hold up my end of the bargain is I tried to institute that here.

Miz C (and Burton) said...

I, too, avoid conflict. I get very quiet and leave the room. Sometimes I rant and rave to dear, sweet hubby about a situation, but never to the person involved in the conflict. But, there are exceptions to every rule. Major exception was our first born. It seemed to be an unwritten rule that we had to yell at each other periodically. That cleared the air. Poor second born would disappear during the shouting matches and could later be found sitting in the closet crying. I assured her it didn't mean the love between the yellers was gone. (perhaps wearing a bit thin at that precise moment, though). Hubby was mostly out of town. He never yells either...but then again he seldom says anything, so I'm not sure that counts. Now that all of us no longer live under the same roof, silence has replaced conflict. Sometimes the silence is mighty loud.